Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Going Raw: Day Two

Is it normal to feel this tired? I feel really exhausted...I actually went to bed at 8:30 last night (good thing I stopped eating at 6:15)! I'm sure it's just the fact that I'm detoxing but wow...I guess I expected instant gratification. I should know better: good things come to those who wait. I've just never been one for patience.

Though on the bright side, I am finding that I am looking forward more to the foods I will be eating throughout the day. I'm excited to experiment with my morning green smoothie and I think as time goes on, and I get a little more experience under my belt, I'll be more excited to make raw lunches and dinners...for the time being, I seem to be sticking with salads. Though I did make a fantastic "ranch" last night.

Raw Ranch


makes 3 cups
Number of Servings: 24
serving size 2 Tablespoons

soak time 1-2 hrs
5 Minutes to Prepare

Ingredients
1-1/2 c cashesws soak them for a creamier dressing (1-2 hr is fine, then drain)
3/4 - 1 c filtered water for blending
3 T lemon juice(translates into approx 1/2 lemon)
1/3 c cider vinegar
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
3 T agave ( or 3 soaked dates)
2 cloves garlic
1 t garlic pwd
3 t onion pwd
1 t dill
1 T sea salt
1/2 t basil

and to add after it's done:
1/4 c finely minced parsley
another 1/2 t dill, minced

Directions
Blend all ingredients till creamy and smooth except the last 2, then once blended, stir in the last 2 ingredients. Thickens in fridge. Thin to desired consistency if using as a dressing- or toss into wet lettuce leaves as is.

Just because I'm still having some issues letting go of this calorie thing, I did the math and this dressing comes out to be roughly 124 calories per serving.

But regardless, this was delicious! I decided that I didn't want it to spoil so I halved the recipe. For future uses I would recommend using less cider vinegar but other than that (and even as is in a salad), this was incredible! I don't know if it tastes a whole lot like ranch but it is so creamy and it is exactly what I needed. And keep in mind, my blender is kind of wimpy and it still managed to make it fantastic.

Hmmm...for some reason my morning smoothie didn't seem to keep me full for too long.

But what I'm finding out is going to be my biggest issue is that I eat to fill the time. At work I'm okay, I have my schedule and I stick to it. It's when I get home that I have problems. I eat dinner and then I go back for something sweet and then I just keep eating until I literally force myself to stop. I'm still not understanding this whole "listening to your body" thing. It's just too complicated for me at home, I'm so used to going home and tuning out myself completely and that usually involves sitting and eating mindlessly in front of the TV.

I did convince myself to walk to the dog park last night instead of driving so I guess I should be proud of that. I really need to let go of all this negativity I have towards myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment