Monday, July 20, 2009

Going Raw: Day One

Welcome to my blog!

Because going raw is possibly one of the most radical things I've ever done for my health, I decided to record all of the ups and downs I have along this path. Since there's not a whole lot to say about my experience thus far (given that it's only half-way through the first day) I think I'll start with what I'm most excited for:

First and foremost, I want to stop looking in the mirror and hating everything about my body. I'm sick of feeling disgusted with myself and then simply punishing my body for my own lack of will-power.

Secondly, I want to stop experiencing all of the negative consequences that come with poisoning myself with the foods I was eating (i.e. chips, excessive fats, refined sugars, etc.) and the nicotine I was hooked on.

And lastly, I want to stop being obsessed with what I eat. This is possibly the most important reason I decided to go raw. I'm sick of obsessing over every single little calorie that went in and beating myself up if I slipped up (which I usually did because I was so obsessed). This is proving to be more difficult than I had imagined. I know you can overeat and anything in excess is bad for you so I still find myself obsessing over how much I should be eating in a day instead of listening to what my body is telling me.

I think, because I've ignored it for so long, I've forgotten what to listen for. I don't know what I'm supposed to feel when I'm truly hungry, I don't know how to slow down in the middle of a meal in order to assess what my body is telling me. I gorged myself on my salad this afternoon (obviously it could have been worse) and only after I was finished did I realize that I could have probably savored it more and really enjoyed the experience of eating everything fresh.

Clearly, I've got a long way to go before I'm free of this obsession and can simply enjoy my life. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment