Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sustainable Eating, Hot Yoga and Food!

As promised, I brought the recipes from Sunday's kitchen adventure to share. First, however, I must advertise an article from Time Magazine about food sustainability. This is a long one but incredibly informative. It doesn't preach a certain way of eating (i.e. raw, vegan, vegetarian), it only explains how eating the standard American diet is killing our environment and ultimately killing us. It is time for a change and I hope that this article helps to open the eyes of the masses. I, personally, have never been happier to eat a diet that has such a small impact on the world.

Now some personal information: my friend, Megin and I went to hot yoga last night. I hadn't gone in about a year and the only hot yoga I had ever done before was hot hatha yoga, not hot power yoga. It's definitely not as relaxing as hatha but I can see why people go to get in shape...my arms are killing me! I will most likely go again but I can't deny that I definitely like hatha a lot better. I just hope my arms recover by the next session on Wednesday...I've had the displeasure or nursing a nearly torn ligament in my arm and it was excruciating and I don't want to experience it again.

Okay, now on to the recipes!

Sage & Sun-Dried Tomato Cashew Pate:














Ingredients:
1 cup cashews, soaked
1/2 cup water (or more if you wish)
a few slices of dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. sage
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. agave nectar

Directions:
Process cashews in food processor first until nuts are completely crushed. Add the remaining ingredients and continue processing. Scrape sides frequently.

This is mmmmmmm-mmmmmm-mmmmmm-mmmmm gooooooooooood! It's even better when it sits overnight as the flavors get a chance to blend together (it's color even changed to red). It's amazing on a romaine leaf with some tomatoes or other veggies. Even though I wasn't at all hungry last night after yoga, I still had to have some.

Smooth Tomato Dressing:
















Ingredients:
1 large tomato (heirlooms are great but anything else will work)
2 tbsp. tahini
2 dates, pitted
1 large sprig fresh thyme
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
pepper (to taste)
salt (to taste)

Directions:
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth, adjusting salt and pepper to your liking.

Oh so good! It tends to be dominant in a salad so make sure the vegetables you use are appropriate, i.e. no lemon cucumbers. Sweet peppers and zucchini work very well.

Well I feel like a more reliable blogger now! Enjoy and I hope the article provides some insight! TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment